Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Reflection on Live Blogging

My live blogging experience of Gossip Girl did not go as I had hoped for, probably because no one joined me for it. I figure that that could have happened for two reasons, the first being that school is starting to get a little bit crazy right now and people do not have as much time to spare to chat about Gossip Girl as they would have maybe earlier in the semester. The second thing is that I did not pick a topic that appealed to a lot of people(shocking to me as a Gossip Girl fan!). I luckily had a great experience later in the week in another MACers live blog on the Office, where about ten of us showed up. It was a fantastic way to chat with each other while watching the same thing.
My experienced thus far with live blogging got me thinking on the ways that it could be used for educational purposes. I think a really fun activity for a class would be to live blog something that pertained to the curriculum, so perhaps if we had just talked about persuasive writing and speeches, we could watch a presidential speech at home and have a live discussion about how it relates to the class. Since Romeo and Juliet is on my mind as I plan my unit, the class could have a live blog taking on a perspective of a character from the play in reaction to something(I am not sure what at this point). I also think it could be a great way to interact with other educators on what is going on in their classrooms. I wonder what other positive ways I could come up with to implement live blogging into my curriculum in the future.

2 comments:

  1. These are some really creative ideas, Megan. I especially like your R&J idea. It might be cool to have some common event that several students, speaking as characters from the play, are liveblogging. I hope that you have an opportunity to experiment with this tool at some point along the way, Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan
    I concur with Jeff about how wonderful your ideas are for using LiveBlogging. I am sorry that no one showed up to yours (I tried to hit many of them, but must admit I do not watch Gossip Girl). I really like the idea of the President's address and the real time opinions and feedback!

    ReplyDelete